Saturday, November 15, 2008

Hazy, hot and humid …one day of the heat wave in New York City. Jimmy works as a bike messenger. The heat, the City, his solitude and his craziness…
HEAT is my love poem to New York…It was my first summer in the New York City. The summer with heat wave over 100F for days, weeks... I was totally alone living in the basement in Brooklyn with no air condition. TV news was scary. People were dying from the heat. I was scared. I had no friends, no money and just split with my partner. I did not know what to do with my life…what was going to happen to me… For months I did not talk to anybody because simply I did not know anybody and I did not know the language. It was one of the most difficult moments in my life. The heat, the unknown City, the unknown country, solitude, fear….and the dreams .. I was not sure…I was dreaming the City or the City was dreaming me…
I come from documentary tradition. So there we were for hours, for days on the streets in the heat of the summer 2003 catching with the camera life of the city- people, traffic, landscapes.

No comments: